Espalier Workshop: Learn How to Create your own Garden Masterpiece
Espaliered fruit trees are a great way to make use of small and narrow vertical spaces in the garden. Deciduous espaliers provide year round interest with:
- Blossom in spring
- Fruit in summer
- Autumn Foliage
- Stunning architectural framework in winter
Come along to our espalier workshop to learn how to set up and maintain these amazing works of art in your garden.
Espalier is an ancient art form of training and pruning fruit trees to grow along a two-dimensional plane. They are a great way to make use of vertical spaces such as against north facing walls, or that narrow gap between the driveway and the fence. You can even grow them in pots!
Once you understand the basic principles of espalier, they are very easy to set up and maintain.
This class is designed for beginners and is ideal for those wanting to set up an espalier. Those with established espaliers that are looking to understand how to maintain them will also find the class useful.
By the end of the class you will have the skills and confidence to:
- Select the right fruit tree, with the correct rootstock
- Set up the trellis framework for the tree
- Plant and perform the initial training
- Maintain the espalier to ensure that it is healthy, beautiful and productive
The class will involve a combination of theory in a class room setting and practical demonstrations outside, including:
- Setting up an espalier frame work for a potted fruit tree
- Performing the initial training of a newly planted espalier tree
- Pruning and training of several established potted espaliers
What to Bring:
- Enthusiasm for learning
- Notepad and pen for taking notes
- Your lunch
- Water bottle
- Closed toed, practical shoes
- Warm clothes as our warehouse classroom can get very cold in winter
This is an all weather event. We have a covered, outside area to run the practical demonstrations in the case of inclement weather.
Early Bird Pricing ends 31 Jan 2020
- Duncan Cocking